Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Go away Snow!!! GO AWAY!!!!!!

I have to say that I love how beautiful snow is, and it looks beautiful when it's falling from the sky and on the trees and mountaintops. I've always enjoyed drinking hot chocolate from the comforts of inside watching the snow fall outside. However these snow storms we've had in the Northwest are causing real big problems. Especially in Gig Harbor! People have been without power for days, luckily ours wasn't out very long. Most communities in Gig Harbor get their water from wells which run on electric pumps, so no power means no water too.

The snow just keeps coming and coming! The cities here don't have the equipment to clear the snow between storms and won't use salt on the roads because they say it hurts the environment. So the roads, especially on raft island are awful. It snows and gets packed down, it freezes and turns to ice, then it snows on top of that and it becomes an vicious cycle. Today it started to rain and made it even worse. Now the slush will freeze tonight and make real dangerous ice.

I feel like I've been stuck in my house for a week, resisting the snow. My shoulder hurts from shoveling so much snow. Our driveway is really long and I've shoveled it twice. I refuse to shovel any more snow! The worst part is that we don't really see an end in sight.
Atleast the kids have been enjoying the snow. It has caused the school to take 3 snow days already, and it would have been more it the winter holiday break hadn't come. The girls have been playing in the snow all week. It's also a good thing we already had snow gear, since all the stores are out of snow boots and gloves. Not a single store in the county has snow chains for tires, and some gas stations are beginning to run out of fuel. UPS can't get me my packages before christmas because of all this snow.


3 comments:

Jenette said...

Emma looks like she is having a blast sledding down the hill. I wish I could have joined her instead of being cooped up in my apartment.

Leilani Bascom said...

Emma and the snowman look awesome! We've had lots of snow in Vermont as well, but I think it's expected here!

Shannon Abbott said...

Thats crazy!!! I hope thing get better soon. How is work? Crazy? Or can you even get there?