Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I don't know about all of you, but I have always loved the music of ABBA. I have extremely fond memories of dancing and singing along with their songs as a child with my 3 sisters. "Dancing Queen" was our anthem as little girls. Both my parents remember very well how much we loved that song and would put on performances in the back seat of the car (back when seatbelts weren't required!)


One day a few weeks ago I decided to rent the movie "Mamma Mia" that recently was released. Eddie was out of town, so there was no worry of resistance to the pick. It was a fun movie, filled with all my favorite ABBA songs. I admit I starting singing along multiple times. The greatest thing about it was Emma's reaction to the music. When the movie was over Emma immediately asked if we could watch it again. I just smiled and gave in! We had a ball the second time around, Singing and Dancing. Emma told me, "Mom, we definitely need to get that movie!". She was upset the next day when I told I had returned the DVD already.

The girls and I went to Utah a couple days afterwards for my brother Erik's missionary farewell. All my siblings were there, which hasn't happened in really long time. It just happened that me, my girls, and my 3 sisters all stayed at my mom's house together. I told them about Emma and the movie. Emma insisted on a performance. So I pulled out my Zune and with Phillips help as DJ we all danced and sang ABBA together again with my mom included. It was probably hilarious to watch, but it brought back a lot of memories and added one more to the book. This time my daughters were included. Like Mother, Like Daughter.

2 comments:

Jenette said...

I love ABBA too... You have to sing and dance to their music.

Leilani Bascom said...

Yeah, I think we probably looked hilarious from Phillip's perspective, but that was FUN!